The marquess of Bute’s Gothic creation at Castell Coch, with its colourful interior and beautiful woodland setting, is ideal for intimate ceremonies. Ceremonies are held in the Drawing Room which holds a maximum of 30 people at any time.
Castell Coch is available for a civil ceremony only. There are no facilities for a function.
The maximum number of guests must include the two registrars, the bride and groom, the photographer and any musicians present. This is a Health and Safety requirement, and cannot be varied.
One booking only per day is accepted at the castle.
A maximum of 90 minutes is allowed for each ceremony. This comprises 30 minutes for the preparation of the room, 30 minutes for the ceremony, and 30 minutes for wedding photography in the courtyard and grounds of the castle.
Applicants for ceremonies are encouraged to make sure that a registrar is available to conduct the ceremony before making a provisional booking. This can be done through the Cardiff Registry Office (telephone 029 2087 1680/4).
We can accept bookings for the hire of Castell Coch 13 months in advance of the date. For example, bookings for June 2015 can be taken from May 2014. Bookings for 2014 will continue to be taken throughout the year.
The charges for 2014 and 2015 are as follows:
Monday to Friday £550
Saturday and Sunday £650
- Charges are not subject to VAT.
- Any expense incurred by Cadw as a result of any application will be recovered from the applicant.
- All bookings are provisional, and are subject to satisfactory proof of Public Liability insurance. Signed copies of the indemnity form and the conditions of hire must be received by the senior custodian on duty at Castell Coch.
- Cadw reserves the right to charge a conditional refundable bond.
Hirers will be expected to provide proof of public liability insurance which includes a clause covering accidental damage to the monument (minimum cover value £2 million).
- Specific conditions apply to photography at Castell Coch. These will be supplied when an application has been made. The Drawing Room will be set up for the ceremony by the custodians; the layout can be discussed and agreed with them before the ceremony.
- Hirers must arrange a visit to the castle before making any firm arrangements for the ceremony. If you would like to discuss use of Castell Coch, check availability or book, or arrange a site visit, please contact the custodian on 029 2081 0101.
- There are no facilities for overnight accommodation at the castle. Requests for this information should be made to the Cardiff Tourist Information Centre, telephone 029 2022 7281.