Caerphilly Castle is the second largest castle in Britain. It not only has a magnificent moat and an impressive fourteenth-century great hall, but it is also fully equipped with modern catering facilities. The Great Hall is available for both a civil ceremony and a reception and/or evening event. It is not available solely for the ceremony.
The function can take place either during the afternoon or in the afternoon and the evening. The ceremony can take place only between 12 noon and 6pm.
We can accept bookings for the hire of Caerphilly Great Hall 13 months in advance of the date. For example, bookings for June 2015 can be taken from May 2014. Bookings for 2014 will continue to be taken throughout the year.
Applicants for ceremonies are encouraged to make sure that a registrar is available to conduct their ceremony before making their provisional booking. However, they should check whether the Great Hall is available before doing this.
The Great Hall may be booked for evening functions such as parties, dinner dances and company events. It holds a maximum of 200 people for any function. For a formal seated function, a maximum of 150 is recommended. Due to the size of the Great Hall, a minimum of approximately 70 is recommended for all functions.
The charges for 2013 and 2014 are as follows:
Evening (7.00pm to 12 midnight, access from 4.00pm): £995
All day (afternoon and evening – 12 noon to 12 midnight): £1,550.00
Registered charities (Monday - Thursday evenings only) – by referral to Cadw: £275.00
- Charges are not subject to VAT.
- Any extra expense incurred by Cadw as a result of any application will be recovered from the applicant.
- All bookings are provisional, and are subject to satisfactory proof of Public Liability insurance, signed copies of the indemnity form and the conditions of hire being received by Cadw.
- Hirers will be expected to provide proof of Public Liability insurance which includes a clause covering accidental damage to the monument (minimum cover value £5 million).
- Access to the Great Hall for set up of the function prior to the advertised times is discretionary and will incur additional hire costs.
- Cadw reserves the right to charge a conditional refundable bond.
- For full terms and conditions, please contact the Visitor and Business Services team on 01443 336106.