Originally founded as a daughter house of Savigny in 1130, the abbey was absorbed into the Cistercian order in 1147. Fairly complete remains of the abbey survive, together with the sixteenth-century mansion raised within its precincts.
Conservation work is planned for 2013 and restrictions on access are now in place.
Exceptional rainfall during the summer and wide extremes of weather during the winter period has resulted in damage to the abbey's stone work at a high level in the restricted area, which includes the under croft; this has brought forward access restrictions.
Cadw is carrying out surveys to establish the full extent of work required and will be commencing a programme to consolidate and conserve the abbey. Access to the remaining areas of the abbey grounds is unaffected.
Please check these pages for further updates.
Buy the pamphlet guide for this site in Cadw’s online shop